Saturday, September 16, 2017

Topps Proves It Sucks Once Again

Back in 2011 I bought a Topps Redemption for a dual Buster Posey and Neftali Feliz card for about $20.  It has been sitting in my account unfulfilled until a couple days ago.  I got a Fed Ex package from Topps, opened up the package and got this:





How can a relic card of a guy they continue to produce not be made and fulfilled?  Isn't Posey one of their guys?

I called Topps to complain.  The guy says the fulfill redemptions that aren't produced looking at Beckett value.  While he is on the phone I look up the Beckett values.  The Posey/Feliz card goes for $50. The Boesch card $12 and the "bonus" Phillips card for $6.  He puts me on hold for over 10 minutes.

He comes back on saying he checked eBay prices and the replacement was accurate as Posey relics go for under $10 and the card I got has an autograph.  I explain that Boesch hasn't played in the majors since 2015 and that only one of his autos has sold in the last 6 months (A Triple Threads /10 for $8) because he sucks and nobody wants his cards.  I doubt I could give it away.  My bonus card is of a prospect who can't even crack the Brewers Top 10 list.

He apologizes about 10 times, I tell him that does me no good.  I ask why they didn't reach out to me to ask who my teams are, he says they only ask what you want when you request a replacement, not when they arbitrarily decide to send you something.  Isn't that idiotic?

He says the only thing he can do is send me a care package with 2-3 packs.  Anyone want to bet what I get?  My guess is 1 pack of Opening Day, 1 pack of Series 2 retail and one pack of Stickers.

Not a happy consumer.

12 comments:

  1. Brennan Bosch??? That's almost hilarious.

    I don't understand why basic policy for replacements wouldn't be to send a card showing the same team(s) as what they're replacing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrible job by Topps. Posey is a guy with a legit shot at the Hall of Fame. As you suggest, they should be able to give you a Posey auto even if it isn't that one, but if not it's gotta be a top-flight player, or at the very least two autos of decent stars. Not to mention that you should get EXTRA compensation for having to wait what, six years? Ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is crazy! The blog is a good start, but you might take it to Twitter or Facebook to see if you can get a better response from Topps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is probably one of the worst replacements I've ever seen. It seems like this kind of thing happens too often. Redemption issues are one of the worst things about the present-day hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty much they have no policy. First the guy says Beckett then he uses eBay? What a joke

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not only that...it looks like Brett Phillips jersey says "Suckers".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adam, call Topps again and ask for Minerva. Call until you reach her. If anyone there can assist you, she's the one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sucks big time. I hope Topps sees this post, realizes their mistake, and takes care of you... because this just isn't right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. Complete disaster of a return.
    I've only had two redemption cards in my collecting history and now I feel really lucky none of them went unfulfilled for very long.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is total BS. (Although Phillips is gonna be awesome)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Makes you wonder that they must not have their inventory online so they could just automate it and you could just pick what you want instead of some worker dude deciding what is a decent card for your collection. Like those Upper Deck points...

    ReplyDelete