Monday, November 14, 2016

McCovey Monday #89 - 2016 Topps 5x7 Past, Present, and Future

My favorite player of all time is Hall of Famer Willie McCovey.  I have amassed a collection of over 1300 different  McCovey cards since I started collecting him in the late 1980s.  I will show off one of my favorite cards every Monday.  Stretch was one of the most feared hitters of all time and I am excited to show off my collection.

My last McCovey Monday post shared a 5x7 card that was a jumbo version of a 2016 Stadium Club Legends inserts.  The card I am sharing today has no smaller parallel:


This is one of those 5x7 Topps releases and is limited to 99 copies.  I didn't buy it directly from Topps but picked it up on eBay at a price I think was significantly less than Topps sold if for.  This card has a lot going for it, I really like the take off on the 1971 Topps design.  The pictures work and I like the idea of a player from three different generations.  The biggest downside is apparent to any Giants fan - Gary Brown was released early in the season and is no longer a member of the Giants.  Also I think it was a stretch at any point to compare him to a Hall of Famer like McCovey or a star like Pence.


No comments:

Post a Comment