Monday, September 10, 2012

McCovey Monday #20 - 2012 Tier One Auto

My favorite player of all time is Hall of Famer Willie McCovey.  I have amassed a collection of over 1100 different  McCovey cards since I started collecting him in the late 1980s.  I will show off one of my favorite cards every Monday.  Stretch was one of the most feared hitters of all time and I am excited to show off my collection.

I have noticed over the past few weeks that my McCovey Monday posts have typically been my posts with the lowest number of views.  For a little bit I wondered if I should discontinue the almost weekly celebration of my number one player collection.  After a little contemplation, I totally dismissed that thought.  Collecting and sharing my cards of Stretch is one of my favorite parts of the hobby.  My primary reason for doing this blog is for personal satisfaction so if I enjoy it, the number of views shouldn't really bother me.

So for today's McCovey card, I want to share another recent eBay pick up.  I scored it for $31.55 with free shipping which I was fairly happy about.  If I waited a few more months I might have been able to get it a little cheaper but I am such a fan of this card I wanted to make sure that one of the 50 made it into the collection.


This photo is not new to recently released McCovey card but I really like the addition of the dugout in the background.  I also think the coloring on this card works well.  The name and team stand out well in silver against the black triangular shape at the bottom.  The smaller triangles to the side of the name and the larger one on top match the muted background and the Giants jersey really well.  I also like how the picture overlaps at the top giving it a kind of 3D effect and the legs are faded a bit to give a nice section of the card for the signature.  This is a really nice Willie McCovey signature and it is on card.  Some of Willie Mac's autos over the last couple years have gotten a little sloppy, probably has something to do with his age - he is 74.  This one doesn't disappoint and it is an added benefit to my collection knowing Mr. McCovey held this card during the signing process.

Another exciting pick up for the McCovey collection.  Based on my spreadsheet, I am now up to 1148 different cards.  Sounds pretty awesome, right?  I must be getting close to having every one of his cards, right?  Not so much, he has 2309 cards so I am about at the half way point.  To some that might be discouraging but to me it just adds to the fun and enjoyment I can continue to experience collecting cards of my favorite player.

3 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful card and a nice signature. In reference to your first point I can sympathize. My favorite player and biggest collection is another guy from the same era, Ron Santo. As excited as I am to post his cards they don't seem to excite our blogging friends either. I think Stretch killed the Cubs (as he did most teams) but I do admire him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't let the post count get you down. My favorite thing about my blog is my favorite bobblehead posting that I make every Monday. I also have low counts, but it's my collection, my blog, and it makes me happy. Isn't that what collecting is about anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, the Blue looks fantastic on that card! Nice pick-up Adam.

    ReplyDelete